Monday, August 27, 2012

I still feel a little dazed from a week in Sydney checking out the Biennale. It was a fantastic experience that brought me in contact with artists from within and outside Australia. Traditional art forms and new innovative approaches; some of which blew my mind. Check out the reviews at WriteResponse.

Lily modelling Origami Warrior
The creativity never stops as I returned to Hobart to prepare 3 recycled garments for the Remade Fashion Show as part of Junction Arts Festival 2012 in Launceston. It was a brilliant event with involvement from students from the Tasmanian Polytechnic, established designers and people like me, who were just keen to make something. It was a great experience to be involved in the event as a maker, as much of my time is supporting makers to do what they do. This was an opportunity to cut, tear, sew and staple. And it was fun! A big thanks to Interweave Arts and the organisers. And a huge thank you to the model, Lily Churchill. I am already thinking about designs for next year.

Now slightly exhausted from my trip up North, I am back in the TRA office talking with Sue Nettlefold about the upcoming Gallery of Small Works. I love this idea. Artists are invited to contribute small artworks for the exhibition which will be held at Gallery Art Spaces in Triabunna. It's an opportunity to tap into the thousands of visitors who travel the East Coast of Tasmania over the Christmas and New Year period. And I am already thinking about a painting I can contribute. If you are interested contact Sue at sue@galleryartspaces.com.au A percentage of money raised through the sale of the works will go towards an arts hub based in Triabunna that will support regional artists, workshops and the region.

Sue is not only an accomplished painter and project developer, but she is about to launch a new book Tasmanian Paintings. It is a beautiful collection of her thoughts and artworks and is available for $10 as an ebook or will be available soon for $20 at great book shops.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog