Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Creative Wandering

Reflecting on a great weekend with so many creative opportunities.  Early Saturday morning I headed to Somercotes Cherry Farm on the Southern side of Ross to meet other writers who all contribute to WriteResponse. It was a great workshop with Jane Deeth joining us to share her knowledge and insight into reviewing and reflecting on contemporary art. What an amazing wealth of knowledge she has.
The location was stunning and one that we are sure to revisit. Perfect for writing or painting and I am already thinking of ways to get back there.

The workshop was about preparing the team for a trip to Sydney to write about the Sydney Biennale. The last part of Saturday was about planning for Sydney and it looks like two small teams of writers will be heading off in early and late August.

That evening I headed off to see Dean Stevenson in The Unsuitable Case of Me. Written by Finnegan Kruckemeyer with spaces left for Dean to insert his very clever and beautiful songs, this was a lovely experience. I won't share anymore as the review will soon be up on the WriteResponse.

Sunday I headed South with the aim of spending a few days trying to finish a report about my work with Tasmanian Regional Arts. The drive was stunning and I took the time to drop in on a few of my favourite people. First was a quick detour to Gay Hawkes studio in Dunalley. She wasn't around but I took some time to enjoy the incredible blue bay and jetty filled with fishing boats. Gorgeous blues and greens.



Onto Sommers Bay to catch up with Naomi Howard. A pie, cuppa tea and was lucky enough to see some of her new works. Just gorgeous and I can't wait to see what she produces over the coming weeks.

That curving drive down into Eaglehawk Neck is stupendous and it never disappoints. The shack was fantastic, but I found myself wishing I could relax and do more creative writing. Perhaps next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog