Sunday, April 21, 2013

What do you want?

In 2008 I was lucky enough to be part of one of the last intakes of the Arts Administration course that was being offered by TAFE Tasmania (before the change to the Polytechnic). By the way, this TAFE course that was taught by Dr Jane Deeth (Consultant) and Sarah McCormack (Stompin) was brilliant. I sat alongside musicians, artists, writers, educators and managers who all benefited from the insight, learning and networks. For me the year long course provided an opportunity to research an idea I had been thinking about for a while. I had been painting since I was around 23 and writing since I was a kid, so I had tasted the bitter sweetness of selling work, painting commissions and the absolute joy of creating something through at times a meditative process that left me completely contented. It is such a pleasure to be able to make and create.

A background in communication, marketing and community development had also given me insight into the broader world of the artist or performer. There was an still is an expectation for them to be able to do it all; market, manage and make, and the isolation that can cripple individuals and see stacks of amazing work being stored in dusty backrooms. I don't agree with this. I mean, it's great if you can do it and it doesn't impact on the work you are making, but, we need to acknowledge that there is a need for other approaches.

This is why I started my business in 2008. It was to support anyone with an arts idea to make it happen. The 'old guard' laughed, saying "you'll never make any money from it', but the artists that I had been talking with loved the idea. It's probably worth noting here that money has never been my driving motivator, which is probably best.

As soon as I started talking about the business there was interest in it and since then I have worked with more than 20 individuals and groups in a range of ways. It's been a roller coaster ride and I feel incredibly lucky to have met and worked with so many amazing artists.

My work is supported by others in Australia and internationally. I brought Dr Ernesto Sirolli to Tasmania in 2010 to speak a the Regional Arts Australia conference in Launceston. His model is based on building the team you need, like any entrepreneur. He absolutely condones following your passion and inviting others to bring the other skills. I was lucky enough to undertake the Sirolli Trinity of Management Training which just fueled my belief that I was on the right track.

To enable me to put food on the table, I have had to mix it up and work for organisations to supplement my income. This has included Screen Tasmania, local councils and most predominately Tasmanian Regional Arts. I have been lucky in TRA that the flexibility and direction of this organisation aligns well with my private Creative Coaching work. However, my passion and commitment to the individual maker has not waned and it is time to reflect on what has been done and what is the next step.

Is there a need for someone in the type of role I undertake? A Creative Coach (pardon the term, but it's the best description for what I do) that provides an objective eye and support in marketing, planning, distribution, grant writing etc. 

It's time for me to find our more and plan the next stage of this work, so please respond to the question on my blog and let me know what you want. Also, feel free to tell me more by commenting on this blog post. I thank all who I have had the privilege to meet and work with and look forward to finding better ways. xK

2 comments:

  1. Kylie, you are the best at inspiring,giving support and enthusiasm to all of us 'creative' ones. I would love to see you be the Tasmanian Arts Representative showing our work to Tasmanian, National and International galleries and so forth, whilst you being paid handsomely to travel to these places on our behalf! I, for one, would love to pay you a membership fee or something similar to be on your 'books' for marketing to galleries/shops..... All the best mate, Donna Ritchie (donnaritchie.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Donna for the comment. Working out how to represent artists in Tasmania to the rest of the world is certainly something that interests me enormously and a challenge I am working on. The idea of an annual membership fee is definitely an option. I have just taken on a North West photographer who is doing some beautiful work and I am speaking to all my clients about their needs, how I can deliver services to them and how I can make it a viable proposition for all of us. I am certainly happy to catch up to talk about how we could work together. Love your work xK

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog